This Mac and Cheese is the ultimate cold day or night meal and includes some broccoli too, so you can't feel bad when you have an extra serving!
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
12 oz fusilli or elbow pasta
1 1/2 tbsp buttery spread
1/4 cup minced onion
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk of choice
1 cup vegetable broth
2 cups shredded cheddar (Photographed recipe was made with Daiya vegan cheddar)
12 oz fresh broccoli florets
2 tbsp parmesan-type grated topping (K note: nutritional yeast also works)
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot of salted water, cook the pasta and broccoli together, according to package directions for al dente.
2. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray, and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F.
4. In a large. heavy skillet, melt the buttery spread, then add the onion and cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
5. Add the flour and cook 1 minute or until flour is golden and well-combined. Whisk in milk and broth, raise heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil, then cook an additional 5 minutes or until smooth and thick.
6. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Remove from heat, add cheese, and stir until melted.
7. Stir in the cooked pasta and broccoli, then pour into the prepared baking dish. Top with the breadcrumbs and parmesan or nutritional yeast.
8. Spray a little more cooking spray on top. Bake 15-20 minutes, then broil a few minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden.