It's strawberry season so what's better than trying out this delicious fruit sandwich called fruit sando this summer!
You can always use different fruits like kiwi, oranges, or a fruit of your choice replacing strawberries to make these delicious fruit sandwiches.
"So normally I’m not a picnic person and when asked to make something for it, I immediately geared towards Japanese style fruit sandos" Sam shared this recipe last summer during the strawberry season.
The following recipe makes 5 sandwiches and it takes only 15 minutes to make a batch.
- 10 slices Asian milk bread or shokupan loaf (brioche loaves work too)
- 500g strawberries
- 400ml cream
- 2-3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 60ml rum for cream (optional)
- 60ml rum for strawberries (optional)
- Slice strawberries and place them in a bowl (Optional: Add 60ml rum and soak them in)
- Whip cream until almost thick and then add sugar and vanilla essence (Optional: Add rum). Continue whisking until thick, keep it cool.
- Spread a generous amount of cream on the bread and then place the strawberries on the bread. "Arrange the fruits so when you cut through it, it has those beautiful cross sections "Sam recommends.
- Spread more cream on top and fill the gaps with it.
- Take another slice of bread, spread the top slice of the bread with more cream and cover it.
- Cover the sandwich with a cling wrap and with a marker, mark where you want to slice them.
- Press them down gently with a pan/tray and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Unwrap and slice with a clean sharp knife (a bread knife works well). "Wipe with a wet towel every time you slice it for a clean cut" Sam recommends.