An old cookie recipe Taylor once posted to Tumblr has made its return and is doing the rounds on TikTok in the lead-up to her new ‘Midnight’ album release. Fans are giving the resurfaced recipe two thumbs up with one woman admitting: "I’ve made these loads of times and they are seriously amazing!"
1/2 cup (or one stick) of butter, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on top
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or the seeds of 1 vanilla bean pod
1 packet crushed chai tea leaves
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees, and line a tray with baking paper.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter in a large bowl for about one minute. Next, incorporate the vegetable oil, granulated sugar, powdered sugar, egg, and vanilla, on medium speed.
3. Empty the packet of crushed chai leaves into the batter and mix until evenly combined.
4. On a slow speed or using a wooden spoon, fold in the flour, baking soda, and salt, to complete the soft cookie dough.
5. Chill the dough in the fridge for one hour or 15 minutes in the freezer so it’s easier to roll out and form cookies.
6. Using one to two tablespoon measurements, drop balls of the dough onto the baking sheet and press them down to form thick cookies.
7. Sprinkle some granulated sugar on top of the cookies for a caramelized crust.
7. Bake in the oven for 8-14 minutes, depending on the thickness, and let cool for at least 10 minutes before icing.
Eggnog Icing Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, plus an extra for sprinkling on top
3 tablespoons of milk or eggnog
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the ingredients until a smooth icing forms. The more milk or eggnog added the more runny the glaze will be but, as Taylor puts it, "glazes are legit too, so basically just LIVE YOUR LIFE."
“If you’re really feeling like living on the edge, you can go ahead and add a few drops of food colouring to the icing to make it festive."
2. Using a spoon, spread the icing on each of the chai cookies. Sprinkle with cinnamon, and enjoy.