Now if you are in the central South Island here are 10 spots you have to check out!
1. Caroline Bay - just a quick walk from the CBD the safe waters of Caroline Bay are a haven for locals and holiday makers on those hot sunny days. Got an amazing new playground coming soon too!
2. Little Mt Peel - you need to be fit but not super fit to walk through the native forest and then through the tussocks to get to the top of Little Mt Peel which is just 15 minutes from Geraldine. It takes around 2 hours to comfortably walk up and the views of the Canterbury plains are breathtaking.
3. Tekapo Springs - whether it's winter for the snow tubing and ice skating or summer on the jumpernaught or aqua drop, Tekapo Springs is enjoyed by visitors and locals all year round…and did I mention the hot pools?
4. Hampden Beach walk to Moeraki Boulders - Pack a picnic and head to the Hampden beach for a leisurely 45 minute walk to the Moeraki Boulders and pose for plenty of great photos. If the cafe is open at Moeraki you can grab a coffee or milkshake too!
5. Aoraki/Mt Cook - I used to work there many years ago and there is just something so magical about driving down the Mt Cook road on a clear day with Aoraki/Mt Cook looking majestic in the distance. The closer it gets the more powerful it becomes.