1/2 c oil
1/2 c sugar
2 1/4 t dry yeast
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 T salt
1/2c softened butter
1c brown sugar
3c icing sugar
1/4 c maple syrup
Boiling water to make a thick icing
- Heat milk, oil and sugar until just below the boil.
- Set aside to cool, when warm, sprinkle yeast over the top and leave to rest 1min.
- Add 4 cups of flour and stir until just combined.
- Rest for 1 hour.
- Stir in baking powder and baking soda and an additional 1/2c flour.
- (at this point I put it in the fridge and use the dough the next day, but you can use straight away if you want)
- Roll dough out to a large rectangle, about 1 inch thick
- Spread on butter and brown sugar and sprinkle over cinnamon.
- Starting from the top, roll the dough carefully towards you into a roll, making sure its tight.
- Use a sharp knife to cut 1-2 inch slices of dough and place into greased trays, swirl side upwards. Leave a little space for them to raise.
- Put in a warm place to raise for at least 2 hours.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 15mins or until risen and light brown, move the center ones slightly with a knife to see if they are cooked.
- While they are cooking, make up the icing and then drizzle/spread it over the rolls as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Eat while warm or microwave for 10 seconds for the best taste :)
Line trays with baking paper if you want to be able to lift them out easily :)