If you're looking for a yummy sugar-free, homemade spread, th this recipe found on This NZ Life is absolutely perfect! Especially if you're finding your berry trees are giving you a bumper crop.
- 2 cups fresh berries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Optional: 3 tbsp sugar
METHOD (no sugar):
- Mash berries with a fork to a consistency you like. Place them into a wide-mouthed jam jar. Add the chia seeds and lemon juice, then stir with a fork.
- Place in the fridge and allow to ‘set’. The chia seeds will swell up and absorb the liquid, thickening the spread at the same time.
METHOD (cooked, sugar option):
- Add the berries, chia seeds, lemon juice, and sugar (if you’re using it) to a pot. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes to dissolve the sugar and get the fruit piping hot.
- Wash jars and lids in hot, soapy water. Rinse them thoroughly. Sterilise the jars in the oven (100°C for 15 minutes), and the lids in boiling water (for 10 minutes). Carefully ladle the spread into the jars and screw on the lids.
- Keep in the fridge. Once opened, consume within a week. Larger batches can be frozen.
Recipe source: This NZ Life