Ali Leonard has been creative in the kitchen - whipping up some of these tasty morsels! Silverbeet, Feta & Pea 'NOT Sausage' Rolls. Enjoy the recipe below!
"Was most surprised with these. I had bought the most gorgeous glossy looking silverbeet. It enticed me and I wanted to do something a bit different so here we have a vegetarian option. After posting this picture on instagram @AliLeonardMC I got quite a few messages asking for the recipe, so here it is! I actually halved this recipe as there are just the two of us. I also found I need to add a bit more of the fresh Bread crumbs."
- Ali Leonard.
- 400g feta
- 2 1/2 cups (280g) frozen peas, thawed
- 3 eggs, 1 lightly beaten for eggwash
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup dill leaves
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups (140g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp finely grated nutmeg
- 1 bunch silverbeet, stems removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- Natural Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place feta, peas, 2 eggs, mint, dill, spring onion, breadcrumbs and nutmeg in a food processor and season. Pulse until finely chopped. Tip into a large bowl. Place silverbeet in the processor and blitz until finely chopped. Stir into feta mixture and check seasoning.
- Divide mixture into 8 equal portions and place a portion lengthways in the centre of each piece of pastry (it's quite sloppy and I thought it might ooze out the ends but it was fine) and brush the edges of pastry closest to you with eggwash. Roll up to enclose, brush rolls with eggwash and scatter with fennel seeds. Place in fridge to firm up for 10 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, gently cut shallow slits on top of each roll, then cut each roll into 3 pieces and place on trays. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden.
- Serve with natural yoghurt.