If you're stuck for yummy, substaintial and soul-filling dinner ideas, why not throw together a chicken pie? Ali has shared a recipe below for chicken pie that is great to use with chicken breast or any leftover chicken you have from a previous night's dinner.
"Did this with Leftover roast chicken. A very happy house! Nice bit of winter comfort on a plate" - Ali Leonard.
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek
- 1 medium carrot
- 500g chicken breast OR leftover chicken roast
- 2 zucchini
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 good Tbsp sour cream
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Heat the oil in a fry pan over a medium heat
- Slice the leek thinly and sauté the leek in the oil
- Finely dice carrot and add to the pan, continue to sauté carrot until both are tender (about 5 mins!)
- If using fresh chicken, dice it and add to the fry pan and seal the chicken.
- Add the stock (which the chicken will cook in) grate zucchini and add to the pan. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Leave the mix to simmer for 20-30 mins, you want the liquid to reduce down as this will be the filling of your pie, too much liquid is not good, makes it more like a soup than a pie! Remember the zucchini releases moisture too. So wait before you add any extra stock. If using left over chicken add this towards end of cooking.
- Once the chicken and veggie mix has reduced down, turn off the heat, and add the mustard and sour cream.
- Grease a pie dish, transfer the chicken and veggie mix into the dish.
- Top with puff pastry, pierce the pastry with a knife to create a few holes for steam to escape, and if you have the inclination brush the pastry with a little milk
- Bake at 200c for 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
- Serve with your favourite mash and maybe some green veggies. (If I'm honest we have it on its own!)