Ali Leonard has shared her recipe for Rhubarb Crumble Muffins. They're simple to make, delicious to eat and something that everyone will enjoy!
"The wind blew and some of my rhubarb snapped! Only one thing to do... Bake! The house smells amazing and I reckon use the crumble bit on everything! So good. I’ve had to put what’s left of them under lock and key." - Ali Leonard.
- 175gms castor sugar
- 175-200gms of finely diced Rhubarb
- 2 Tbsp of a vegetable oil/sunflower etc
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 125mls buttermilk ( if you don’t have buttermilk add the juice of a lemon to normal milk)
- 200gms plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50gms Demerara or raw sugar
- 50gms plain flour
- 25gms porridge oats
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50gms of room temp butter
- Heat oven to 220c /200c fan bake
- Line 12 hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases. Stir the sugar with the rhubarb and leave to sit.
- Mix together the crumble ingredients rubbing in the butter with your hands till it’s a bit clumpy.
- Stir oil, egg, vanilla & buttermilk into the rhubarb/sugar mixture. It looks very liquid. Don’t panic. Sift in the flour and baking powder and soda. Stir well.
- Get it in the muffin cases and sprinkle a good thick layer of the crumble mix on top. Bake 15-20 minutes. Test with a skewer to make sure middle is cooked.
- Cool on a rack and then hide them before they disappear!