Ali Leonard had bananas that she needed to use up, but wanted to try something a little bit different than the steretypical banana bread or cake.
"In an endeavor to avoid the obvious Banana Bread or Cake, I made these on the weekend. There seems to be many recipes for these, but this was the first one that popped up. It got a thumbs up in our house!"
- Ali Leonard
- 1 very ripe banana (I used 3 of the little bobby bananas)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola or mild vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts, salted or unsalted (optional - I only had some cashews so I used those instead)
- Preheat oven to 170 c
- In a large bowl, mash together the bananas, peanut butter, brown sugar, oil and eggs with a potato masher or whisk. Add the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and peanuts, if using—or save them to sprinkle on top. Stir just until blended.
- Spread in a lined 20 x 20 cm baking pan and if you like, sprinkle with the nuts . Bake for about 25 minutes, until the top is springy to the touch. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- Makes about 16 brownies. Store in a tightly sealed container; freeze any that don’t get eaten within a few days.