Our resident chef Ali Leonard has shared this interesting and delicious recipe for a chilled celery soup. The soup is a great meal for a hot summer's day!
"I made this on the weekend. It was so good. I love a chilled soup in summer. Obviously you need to like celery to enjoy this one. I used the celery tops with the leaves." - Ali Leonard.
- 6 Cups (1.5 litres) celery, cut into pieces
- 1 small leek, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) celery salt
- Ice cubes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Greek yoghurt
- Celery seeds and leaves, for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, soften the celery, leek, and garlic in the butter. Add the water, broth, potatoes, and celery salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- In a blender, purée the soup until smooth. Strain. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until the soup is cold. Add more stock if needed, and adjust the seasoning. Pour into bowls or cups. Add an ice cube. Garnish with a dollop of greek yoghurt & some celery seeds, and leaves.