While we are still enduring the colder wintery months in New Zealand, this recipe could be a good one to save for when we start getting warmer and longer nights.
The recipe is for a vodka pasta sauce, and has gone viral on social media after celebrity A-List model Gigi Hadid shared it.
The sauce is delicious and wholesome, yet summery and fun and it is almost guaranteed to step your pasta up a notch!
The vodka is said to add a smooth finish to the pasta sauce and helps marry all other flavours perfectly.
A few people have shared tips on making the vodka pasta sauce recipe. The first is even if you are tempted to add a dash more vodka - don't. There is a fine line between a balance of flavours and a mismatched foody cocktail.
If you have kids and are worried about using vodka in the recipe, some people have suggested that subbing it for balsamic vinegar is a great idea (although not as good!).
- 1 shallot
- 3 Tbsp butter (unsalted)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 200g passata
- 2 Tbsp triple distilled vodka
- 450g pasta shells (or penne!)
- 120ml double cream
- 50g grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus more to serve
- A sprig of fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp dried crushed red chilli
- Salt and pepper
- Soften the shallot and garlic in olive oil, in a pan on a low heat.
- Add the chilli flakes, passata, basil and seasoning before cooking gently for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of salted water to the boil to cook the penne 'al dente'.
- Drain the pasta, melt the butter in another pan and toss the pasta in it to coat.
- Add the cream along with your tomato sauce on a high heat, stirring to combine completely.
- Finally, add the vodka, toss again.
- Take it off the heat, add in half the parmesan until melted then sprinkle the last of it over the top with roughly torn basil to serve.