Countdown’s ‘Odd Bunch’ initiative offers “not so perfect” fruit and vegetables available at a reduced price, in an effort to reduce food waste.
The Breeze in the Kitchen was inspired by this, so we used Countdown ‘Odd Bunch’ products to create delicious Carrot & Potato Fritters with mint yoghurt.
Check out the video and recipe below!
Find out more about Countdown's Odd Bunch.
- 4 medium carrots, grated
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, grated
- ¾ cup plain flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄ 3 cup rice bran oil
- ¾ cup low-fat greek-style plain yoghurt
- ¼ cup finely chopped mint, plus extra mint sprigs, to garnish (optional)
1. Place grated carrot and potato in a bowl. Pick mixture up with clean hands and squeeze out any excess moisture.
2. Sift flour into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add buttermilk and egg, stirring until smooth. Add carrot mixture and spring onion. Mix well. Use your hands to mould 2 tablespoons of batter into a ball and flatten slightly. Repeat with remaining batter.
3. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan on medium. Cook fritters in batches for 3-4 minutes each side, until golden and cooked through. Drain well on a paper towel and keep warm.
4. Meanwhile, mix together yoghurt and chopped mint. Divide fritters between serving plates, serve with yoghurt and garnish with mint sprigs, if using.