This chicken soup recipe will certainly become a favourite. A soup you will roll our each winter to warm the cockles of your soul. Packed with herbs, gorgeous veges and deliciously thick and creamy, this chicken soup is healthy and filling.
For the Winter Chicken Soup, you will need:
100g onion, diced
1 litre chicken stock
100g carrot, diced
100g button mushrooms, halved
2 thickly sliced courgettes
1 410g can creamed corn (this is the secret ingredient, don’t skip it)
2 chicken breasts, diced (or left-over roast chicken stripped with the carcass used for the stock)
1 Tsbp dried mixed herbs (or fresh if you grow them – choose thyme, oregano, sage)
Dash of cream
salt and pepper
How to make the Winter Chicken Soup:
1. Melt the butter in a large pot and sweat the onion until translucent but not brown.
2. Make a roux by stirring in the flour and cook until lightly coloured.Let cool for several minutes.
3. Gradually stir in the hot stock. Add the mushrooms, courgettes, carrots, creamed corn, diced chicken breast and mixed herbs.
4. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to simmer for about 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
5. Stir in your desired about of cream, season with cracked pepper and salt and serve with thick, freshly toasted bread.