There is nothing better than a homemade pie if you ask me: hot, healthy, packed with protein and vegetables, and a firm family favourite. Quite often, the family and I love to sit down to a homemade pot pie for an early weekend supper, then put our feet up and watch a movie with warm, full bellies!
Now this Homemade Chicken Pot Pie ticks all the boxes. Don't be put off by the list of ingredients, they are all simple to find and use. And if you don't fancy making the pastry from scratch, why not buy ready made and sprinkle underneath and on top?
INGREDIENTS (serves 6-8 people)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
2 tblsp parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
115g butter (diced)
3-4 tblsp ice cold water
2 cups chicken stock
1 large onion (diced)
2 medium kumara (diced)
1 tsp dried sage
Salt and black pepper
2 medium carrots (cut into chunks)
1 large head broccoli (cut into florets)
1 small stick celery (diced)
1/4 cup flour
4 tblsp butter (room temperature)
500g chicken (cooked and cut up)
1 egg (beaten)
1. First start on the pastry (if making from scratch): combine the flour, Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper in a large bowl, cut in the butter until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Then add the 3 tablespoons of water and work it in, adding another to form a dough that can be kneaded into a ball. Divide in half, press into circle shapes, cover in Glad wrap and chill in the fridge for half an hour. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220 degrees C.
2. Put a large pot on the hob, pour in the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Add the onions, sage, salt and pepper and kumara and simmer until the kumara begins to get soft. Then add the broccoli, carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Blend 1/4 cup of flour with the room temperature butter in a cup or small bowl with your fingers, then turn up the heat under the pot, pinch off bits of the flour/butter mix, drop in the pan and stir gently to mix. Cook until the sauce thickens a bit, then remove from the heat and stir in the chicken.
4. Find a 9-inch pie dish or similar and roll out one half of the pastry dough to fit inside the pie dish. Be sure to grease the dish first, then lay the pastry inside, pour in the chicken filling, roll out another half of the pastry to fit on top, lay over the top of the pie and pinch the edges of the pastry together. Trim off any excess pastry, cut a steam vent in the top, brush with beaten egg and place in the oven.
5. Bake for 15 minutes at 220 degrees, then lower the temperature to 170 and bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden. Serve hot!