There's something so comforting about stuffed mushrooms...perhaps its something to do with the simplicity of the recipe and the amazing result which makes it look like you put heaps of effort in to making them! Or maybe its something to do with how good they taste.
Either way, they are one of my favourite things to eat as a starter or as a lighter option for lunch with a green salad.
Try this recipe for yourself...it uses ingredients you'd normally find in your pantry or fridge.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4-6)
100g feta cheese, crumbled
1 small onion, peeled and chopped finely
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1/2 cup ham, chopped finely
1/4 cup parsley, chopped finely
1 cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
1/2 cup natural yoghurt
salt and pepper to season
12 large Portobello mushrooms
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the feta cheese, onion, garlic, ham, parsley, breadcrumbs and yoghurt and season well with salt and pepper. Make sure everything is well combined.
2. Wipe the mushrooms with a damp piece of kitchen paper, remove the stalk and place them skin side down on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
3. Spoon some of the feta cheese mixture onto each mushroom and spread it out evenly so you have a good layer on top of the mushrooms.
4. Drizzle a little olive oil over each and place under a hot, preheated grill for approximately 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms have softened and the topping starts to turn golden brown with bubbles on the surface.
5. Serve immediately. If eating for a light lunch, serve with salad and perhaps a slice or two of wholemeal toast. Delicious!
Adapted from EasiYo Yoghurt Cookbook