A number of supermarket-sold hummus and tahini products are under recall due to the risk of salmonella.
The Ministry for Primary Industries said on its website that parent company Life Health Foods NZ are recalling 21 particular batches of product part of their Greater!, Lisa's and Prep Kitchen brands range. Since that announcement, another five more hummus products have also been included from Brelita Foods Ltd's Seasons Gourmet and Turkish Kitchen brands
The 26 hummus products that are recalled include:
- Beetroot (450g)
- Glorious Butternut (500g)
- Roasted Garlic (500g)
- 2in1 Beetroot Hummus and Kiwi Onion Dip (200g)
- 2in1 Nacho Hummus and Jalapeno Popper Dip (200g)
- 2in1 Sweet 'n Smokey BBQ Hummus and Dill Pickle Hummus (200g)
- Hummus Beetroot with Roasted Cashews (200g)
- Hummus Caramelised Onion (200g); Hummus Chargrilled Capsicum (200g)
- Hummus Gloriously Garlic (200g)
- Hummus Jalapeno & Lime (200g)
- Hummus Kumara with Coconut & Turmeric (200g)
- Original Hummus with Garlic & Lemon (200g)
- Original Hummus with Garlic & Lemon (750g)
- Smokey Hummus with Garlic & Tahini (200g)
- Toppings Creamy Hummus with Dukkah & Pistachio (200g)
- Toppings Kumara Hummus with Pumpkin Seeds (200g)
- Beetroot Hummus with Roasted Cashews (750g)
- Natural Hummus (1kg)
- Original Hummus with Garlic & Lemon (1kg)
- Tahini (1kg)
- Manuka Smoked Garlic Hummus (200g, 350g)
- Traditional Hummus with Roasted Garlic (200g, 380g)
- Vegan Original Hummus with Garlic & Smoked Paprika (700g)
- Vegan Original Hummus with Horopito Bush Pepper (400g)
- Vegan Original Hummus with Kawakawa Bush Basil (400g)
Symptoms from salmonella include abdominal cramps, diarrhoea, fever, headache, nausea and vomiting, and usually appear within 12 to 72 hours. The illness can last between four to seven days - but can be 10 days in the most extreme cases.
MPI has yet to report any cases of salmonella from the infected products.
Customers are asked to check the date mark on the side of the lid, not consume any affected products, and return it to the retailer for a full refund.