One common thing that most cat parents can relate to is their cat's love for running water. The experts have revealed six reasons why they love it.
- Cats sense that running water is safer to drink. Apparently, cats have an instinct telling them that the running water is waster is safer to drink than still water
- Cats are attracted to the sound of running water because they rely on their hearing to find their way in the wild. According to Dr Deb Greco at VetStreet, cats do not like still surfaces like unmoving, still water. This is because these still water are harder to detect by the look or sound, while running water can be detected well both by sight and sound.
- Just like a fresh glass of water can quench our thirst, our cats can't get enough of running water when they are thirsty. They simply prefer it! Running water looks the freshes to cats explains WebMD, so cats often prefer that over a water bowl that can collect dust.
- Cat's don't like when still water touches their whiskers. The Cat Hospital of Tucson explained that 'cat's whiskers are intricate touch receptors connected to their nervous system'. When cats drink water from the bowl and their whiskers touch the water, this can create stress them. Hence, they enjoy running water so this does not happen.
- Cats are known to be particular about where their food and water bowls are located. WebMD explains that cats may feel uncomfortable drinking still water out of a bowl. It is because often placed in a corner where their backs are exposed, and in reality, they like to be completely in control of their surroundings which the bowl placement doesn't allow.
- The final reason is that they just want to play with it. Some cats prefer running water because, for them, it is simply fun to play with. According to VetStreet, cats like to play with water because they're more likely to drink it if it is moving and they love how it splashes.