ANZAC biscuits, with their rolled oats and golden syrup goodness, have long been a symbol of ANZAC in Kiwi households.
But one Kiwi food blogger, Just A Mum NZ, has added a bit of a modern twist on the famous biscuit and turned them into beautiful moist muffins that incorporate all the best flavours from ANZAC biscuits - plus add a little 'zhuzh' with a yummy, creamy caramel filling.
Anna has the full recipe, including clever tricks for the recipe up on her blog.
- Half a Can of Condensed Milk (200g)
- 1 Tablespoon Chelsea Golden Syrup
- 30 Grams Butter, diced
- 100 grams Butter, diced
- 1 1/4 Cups Milk, 315 mls
- 4 Tablespoons Chelsea Golden Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Cups Plain White Flour, 260 grams
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats, 50 grams
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2/3 Cup Chelsea Brown Sugar, 135 grams
- 1/2 Cup Coconut (Finely Desiccated), 45 grams
- 1 Egg, large
- 1/4 Cup Rolled Oats, 25 grams
- 1/4 Cup Chelsea Brown Sugar, 50 grams
- In a small saucepan combine the condensed milk, golden syrup and butter
- Heat gently on low, stirring continuously with a rubber spatula to ensure it does not stick to the sides or base.
- Gently cook for 6-8 minutes until it begins to just thicken and slightly change colour.
- Remove from the heat and set aside
MUFFINS & TOPPING:
- In a large saucepan add the butter, milk and golden syrup and bring this to the boil while whisking often
- Remove from the heat once boiling and add the baking soda and whisk well, the mixture will froth and rise!
- Set this mixture aside to cool completely while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare a muffin tray with baking spray or cupcake cases.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the flour, rolled oats, baking powder, brown sugar, and coconut and mix well to ensure no lumps remain and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the topping of rolled oats and brown sugar and set aside.
- Once the butter mixture is cool add an egg to it and whisk well to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Half fill each cupcake case with muffin mixture, then spoon a generous teaspoon of caramel filling into the centre of each one.
- Then top with the remaining muffin mixture until nearly full.
- Sprinkle each muffin with the rolled oats and brown sugar topping
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the muffins spring back to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tray
- Remove to a wire rack to serve warm or cold.