The genius' who brought us the Bubble O'Bill Ice Cream Cake have created another incredible hybrid recipe - a Custard Square Hot Cross Bun recipe.
The recipe is super easy, you just really need to whip up some custard and then you can transform shop-bought Hot Cross Buns into an impressive dessert!
- 100g (2/3c) custard powder
- 100g (1/2c) caster sugar
- 500ml (2c) milk
- 300ml carton thickened cream
- 60g butter, chopped plus 2 teaspoons extra, softened
- 9 hot cross buns
- 80g (1/2c) icing sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Whisk the custard powder, caster sugar and 60ml (1/4 cup) of the milk in a saucepan until smooth. Stir in the cream and remaining milk. Place over medium-low heat and cook, whisking slowly and then more vigorously as mixture thickens, for 10 minutes. Stir in the butter until combined. Pour the mixture into a heatproof bowl. Set aside to cool, stirring often with a spatula to release heat and to prevent a skin from forming, until just warm.
- Line a 20cm (base measurement) square cake pan with baking paper, overhanging two opposite sides. Use a small serrated knife to carefully cut the buns in half horizontally. Arrange the bottom half of the buns, cut-side up, neatly over the base of the prepared pan.
- Drop large spoonfuls of the custard over the bun base and gently spread to make an even layer. Arrange bun tops, cut-side down, over the custard. Place in the fridge for 2 hours or until set.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Place the extra butter in bowl to one side. Pour boiling water onto the butter to begin to melt. Stir into the icing sugar until smooth and well combined. Place the icing mixture into a small sealable plastic bag and snip off one corner. Drizzle icing in a cross pattern over the slice. Sprinkle with pistachios and set aside to allow to set.
See the full recipe, plus tips at taste.com.au.