Woman issues heartbroken warning to dog owners after her's dies eating houseplant

Must See 27/05/2020

A US dog owner has issued a stark warning after her french bulldog died from eating a popular houseplant. 

Kate Wagner says her dog, Lily, became critically ill after eating a Sago Palm, a plant that can be found in New Zealand homes and gardens. 

Wagner initially posted her warning on Facebook on May 7, urging pet owners to be careful after Lily spent a week "fighting for her life". 

"Our sweet baby Lily got into one of my houseplants and ended up fighting for her life at the emergency vet for nearly a week. She is now home with a feeding tube and a medication schedule that spans from 7am until 12am daily."

"There have been many tears shed, dollars spent, and guilt felt... all because of a $5 plant."

But sadly less than two weeks later, Wagner said Lily had died. 

"Lily passed away in our arms. She fought hard, loved hard, and gave us a couple of butt wiggles just before she just couldn’t fight any longer," Wagner posted. 

"We loved her so very much and gave her all the love and care in the weeks since the incident we could possibly give. We are truly devastated."

She also urged pet owners to thoroughly research any plants before they buy them. 

"If you are a houseplant lover, please research your houseplants prior to purchasing. Even if you think the houseplant is in a secure location, mischievous little paws may still get into trouble." 

Wagner said when she purchased the plant she had no idea "this little 6-inch plant would become my nightmare".

Sago Palms, also known as Cycas revoluta, are common house and garden plants and are extremely poisonous to dogs. The entire plant is poisonous but the seeds are the most toxic part. Even small amounts can cause severe liver failure. 

Newshub.