Ikea is giving away the recipe for its iconic Swedish meatballs to help people get through their time at home during lockdown.
IKEA MEATBALLS AT HÖME
- 500g beef mince
- 200g pork mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed or minced)
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp whole milk
- Salt and pepper
- Dash of oil
- 40g butter40g plain flour
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 150ml beef stock
- 150ml thick double cream
- 2t soy sauce
- 1t Dijon mustard
For the meatballs
- Combine beef and pork mince and mix with your fingers to break up any lumps. Add onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, and egg, and mix. Add milk and season well with salt and pepper.
- Shape mixture into small, round balls. Place on a clean plate, cover, and store in the fridge for two hours (this will help the meatballs hold their shape while cooking).
- In a frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. When hot, gently add meatballs and brown on all sides.
- When browned, transfer to an ovenproof dish and cover. Place in a hot oven (180 degrees conventional or 160 degrees fan) and cook for a further 30 minutes.
For the cream sauce
- Melt butter in a pan. Whisk in flour and stir for two minutes.
- Add stocks and continue to stir. Add cream, soy sauce and mustard.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and allow to thicken.
- Serve with mashed or boiled potatoes.