Woman issues warning after almost getting her finger amputated from biting her nails

health 12/02/2020

Nail biting is one of the most common bad habits out there. For some of us it is an anxiety things, others a comfort thing and for the rest of us - we don't even know why we do it!

While nailbiters can be often criticised by their lack of nails by non-nailbiters, no one really talks about the potentially harmful consequences of doing it (besides having stubby nails and eating loads of germs!).

One 18-year-old has shared her horrific experience which saw her give up nailbiting for good as it almost caused her to lose her finger completely.

The girl starts the video:

"To my fellow nailbiters... Stop what you are doing"

She then goes on to detail how she woke up one morning with red swelling around a green spot on her cuticle. She went to the doctor and found out she had paronychia, aka a cuticle infection.

She was prescribed antibiotics, but they didn't work and her infection got a lot worst to the point where the swelling and green spot got big enough to burst.

She eventually had to have a type of surgery called a therapeutic washout to remove the infection. Her doctor told her that she needed to stop biting her nails. "He told me that he has to amputate the tips of people's fingers because the infection gets too bad, and that I'm lucky I came when I did," she told BuzzFeed.

"Since this has happened to me, I have stopped biting my nails because I never want to have to go through that again," she said. "I made the TikTok to educate people to not bite their nails because it can have serious consequences."