Buckingham Palace has responded to Prince Harry and Meghan's decision to step back as senior members of the royal family.
"Discussions with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at any early stage. We understand their desire to take a difference approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through," a statement says.
The BBC understands, according to reporter Jonny Dymond, that no member of the royal family was consulted and the palace is "disappointed".
Earlier on Thursday, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex issued a "personal message" saying: "After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution."
The couple said they were going to "step back as senior members of the royal family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen".
ITV's royal editor Chris Ship says this is the equivalent of "resigning" from the family.
"It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment," the statement says.
"We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages.