An article from a 1950's edition of 'Housekeeping Monthly' magazine is going viral online. The article is titled Housekeeping Monthly's "The Good Wife's Guide," printed in May 1955, which outlined the ways to keep your other half smiling, and it has seen many people amazed to see how far society has progressed.
There are many tips included in the article and we have highlighted some of the main ones below.
- "Always have dinner ready when he gets home"
- "Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return"
- "Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him."
- "Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.
- "You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours."
- "Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit"
- "Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes"
And finally, "A good wife knows her place".
Isn't it amazing how far we've come since this magazine was published!