Easter is just around the corner, and you know what that means - four days of making yourself sick with all the chocolate you can eat.
Here on the show, we're getting a crack on early, by learning how to make the perfect Easter chocolate cake topped off with Easter eggs.
Kiwi food writer Annabelle White tipped us off on her favourite recipe.
- 115g or 1/2 cup butter
- 125 g dark chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk (we used Tararua Buttermilk)
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 100g butter
- 100g dark chocolate
1. Heat oven to 180 deg C. Grease a 22cm tin. Dust with cocoa.
2. Heat butter and chocolate carefully in saucepan stirring on medium temperature. Do not over heat. Take off heat, add sugar and vanilla straight away while mix is hot.
3. Whisk in buttermilk and eggs with a whisk. Add dry ingredients, whisk gently till just smooth. Pour batter into tin.
4. Bake for 40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Turn out on wire rack to cool.
5. Make icing. Heat butter and dark chocolate together in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Pour over cooled cake.
Cook's Tip: Buttermilk in this cake makes it so moist and great news for busy cooks it gets better the day after you make it.
Watch the video.