Not only does intermittent fasting help you lose weight but there are other benefits that come with it.
Before we get into the benefits, 'What is intermittent fasting' I hear you ask. Well, intermittent fasting is a cycle of eating patterns that swap between periods of fasting and eating.
It's something that Humans have actually been doing for years and is also a big part of major religions, including Islam, Buddhism, Judaism and Christianity.
10 benefits of intermittent fasting
Here are 10 benefits of intermittent fasting that the likes of Beyoncé, Hugh Jackman and more have all raved about...
- Weight loss
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Elevation of growth hormone
- Cognitive function (more focus)
- Cellular 'waster removal' process called autophagy
- Can cure some diseases
- Reverse type 2 diabetes
- Reverse insulin resistance
- Reduces oxidative stress and inflammation
- Extend life span
How to do intermittent fasting
Here are the most popular methods:
- The 16/8 method: it involves skipping breakfast and restricting your daily eating period to 8 hours, for example 1pm to 9pm which you then 'fast' for 16 hours in between.
- Eat-stop-eat: this involves fasting for 24hrs, once or twice a week e.g not eating from lunch one day until lunch the next day.
- The 5:2 diet: on two non-consecutive days of the week, only eat 500-600 calories and then eat normally the other 5 days.