Hilary from The Breeze Canterbury shared her co-host Fitzy's "ultimate pie" recipe on The Breeze in the Kitchen Facebook group and looking at the photos it looks EXTREMELY scrumptious!
The following recipe makes about 6 pies and you can choose to cook it straight away or freeze it for later.
- 500gms of cooked chicken (Its really nice to use leftover roast chicken, it just has a nice flavour and extra soft texture
- 1 Leek, sliced thinly
- ½ cup Frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup cooked bacon bits
- 5 or 6 large mushrooms, chopped
- Large knob of Butter and also for greasing
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup grated cheese
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ cup Chicken stock
- ½ cup White wine
- ½ cup cream
- Cooking Oil
- 5 x Frozen Puff Pastry sheets
- Heat oil in a large pan, and add Leek, Corn, Bacon and Mushrooms. Sauté until all very soft
- Remove from pan, and set aside in a large bowl.
- Without cleaning the pan, add butter and flour to make a roux.
- Add cheese, chicken stock, wine, nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Stir in the cream. You should have a thick, pale yellow sauce.
- Pour this sauce into the bowl with the veggies and bacon
- Add in your chopped cooked chicken. Stir to combine everything.
- Grease your pie dishes with the butter, line them with pastry, and spoon in the filling.
- Add pastry tops to your pies, pinch ends so the filling doesn’t explode out the sides when cooking!
- Cook at 180 deg for approx 25 mins, or until pastry firm and golden
If you're planning to freeze it, skip step no. 10 and do this instead:
Wrap each pie in glad wrap and then foil, and freeze.
Fitzy recommends freezing it uncooked!
"Don’t worry - the uncooked pastry cooks up really well after thawing".