Jeanette from The Breeze Auckland has been flicking through old recipe books and found a delicious recipe for Favourite Malt Squares in the 1970s book 'The New Zealand Television & Radio Cookbook'.
This book has hundreds of tried and true recipes submitted by viewers and listeners all over New Zealand, including a recipe for "Favourite Malt Squares" submitted by J. Dickens of Mount Maunganui. It's super easy and super delicious!
- 1 Packet of malt biscuits
- 120g of melted butter
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 Can of condensed milk
- 2 cups of desiccated coconut
- Favourite chocolate icing to cover
- Crush biscuits. Melt butter and add sugar.
- Add crushed biscuits, stir well and press into a lined tin.
- Mix condensed milk and coconut. Spread on top of the mixture.
- Cook at 180c for 15-20 minutes.
- Ice while hot with a thin layer of chocolate icing. Cut into squares when cold.