It all started from a Facebook post on one of the local Hibiscus Coast pages where someone was trying to track down the baker from whom she bought a delicious chocolate caramel slice.
The customer had bought it at a local school fair and because of her curiosity to know the recipe, she posted it online that very day hoping to be in contact with the baker.
Sure enough, Facebook worked its magic and the baker of the slice was found!
Her name is Jody Hetaraka and thanks to her we've got the recipe so you can try it out for yourself too.
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup desiccated coconut (90g)
1 cup brown sugar
125g of melted butter
400g of sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons of golden syrup
125g chopped dark chocolate
1. Sift the flour and add it to the bowl.
2. Add coconut, sugar, and melted butter and stir until combined.
3. Put the mixture over a lightly greased lamington pan
4. Bake it in the oven for 15 minutes
Tip: Caramel filling must be stirred constantly during cooking for perfect results
5. Combine condensed milk, butter and golden syrup in a pan and stir it over low heat and don't let it boil.
6. Heat it for about 15 minutes or until the mixture is golden brown.
7. Pour the hot filling on top of the base and put the pan back in the oven for 10 minutes and then leave it to cool.
8. Combine chocolate and butter in a pan and stir over low heat until smooth.
9. Spread the topping over the filling and let it be at room temperature until set.
Store it in an airtight container