Queen issues statement on Prince Harry & Meghan Markle's departure from royal family

royals 14/01/2020

In a new statement issued by the royal family, Queen Elizabeth has revealed that while she wanted Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to stay as full-time royals, she understands their desire to live an independent life and has accepted their decision to move overseas.

"My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan's desire to create a new life as a young family."

"Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family."

The Queen said in the statement that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had made it clear that they didn't want to be reliant on public money for their new lives. In their statement last week, Prince Harry and Meghan said they wanted to split their time between the United Kingdom and North America.

"There will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK," the Queen said on Tuesday.

"These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days."