Bay of Islands Build Your Own Holiday!
The Breeze is giving you the chance to win a getaway to soak up the sun in the winterless north. But because there are so many places to stay, so many things to do and so many great places to dine and wine, we’re allowing you to build your own itinerary!
At only three hours’ drive from Auckland or a quick flight away, the Bay of Islands is a vast playground for all to enjoy for a short or long break whether you’re on the sea, on the land, doing lots, or doing not much at all.
Below is some more details of the options for your trip to the Bay!
1. Beachside Holiday Park: Beachside Holiday Park is nestled in its own bay
near Paihia and is the perfect place to relax and explore the Bay of Islands
while staying in either a motel, tourist flat, cabins or camp sites.
2. Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands: Surrounded
by 60 acres of subtropical gardens as part of the historic Waitangi Treaty
Grounds, the Copthorne Hotel Resort & Spa is perfect for families and
couples who want to relax, enjoy the views and the beautiful lagoon style
3. Duke of Marlborough Hotel, Russell: The Duke is a stunning historic
boutique hotel on the waterfront in Russell which features an award-winning
restaurant, bar and stunning views.
4. Kingsgate Hotel Autolodge Paihia: Located in the heart of Paihia and just 100 metres from the Paihia wharf, the Kingsgate Hotel is in a fantastic location and offers fabulous views right across the bay to Russell.
5. Scenic Hotel Bay Of Islands: With expansive sub-tropical gardens and extensive facilities, the resort-style Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands is the perfect base from which to explore the beautiful Bay of Islands.
Attractions (choose up to three):
1. One leg of the Coast to Coast Cycle Trail: The Kaikohe-Okaihau section of the Coast to Coast cycle trail takes you on a gentle tour of the rural Northland, over good terrain with no steep gradients. Perfect as a day trip for those wanting to enjoy the rich nature of the Far North at a leisurely pace.
2. A tour through Kawiti Glow Worm Caves: Enjoy a guided tour through the Kawiti Caves which are home to thousands of luminous glow worms, breath taking rock formations and lush green rainforest.
3. Cultural performance and tour at the
Waitangi Treaty Grounds: The Waitangi
Treaty Ground sand
Treaty House is New Zealand's pre-eminent historic site where the Treaty of
Waitangi was first signed. Join a tour with a professional guide and be
enchanted by an authentic Maori cultural performance inside the beautifully
carved meeting house.
4. Dolphin Cruise to the Hole in the Rock: Cruise through the sheltered waters of the Bay of Islands on Dolphin Seeker, Fullers GreatSights’ purpose-built dolphin and whale watching catamaran.
5. A magical twilight Kayak Tour: Cruise along the
coastline and meander up a river through mangrove forests before arriving at a
beautiful waterfall where all the fun and adrenaline starts!
6. Take a day trip up to Cape Reinga on Dune Rider: Explore the landscape on this full day adventure to Cape Reinga. Drive along the sand highway of 90 Mile Beach as the ocean roars alongside you. Immerse yourself in the culture and history of the Far North on this adventure to the top of NZ.
Wine and dine:
1. Enjoy an award-winning dinner at the Duke
of Marlborough Hotel: Located
right on the waterfront in Russell, the Duke of Marlborough’s award-winning
restaurant showcases the best of locally sourced seasonal produce and presents
a new take on classic favourites.
2. Fish & Chips on
the Beach: The
Bay of Islands is the perfect place to relax, and what better way to do that
with fresh fish and chips on one of the Bay’s many beautiful beaches
3. Fun with food at 35 Degrees South Aquarium
Restaurant & Bar: Located
in central Paihia, 35 Degrees South Restaurant and Bar provides a unique dining
experience over the water with a 60,000 litre salt water aquarium, filled with
local fish species.
4. Alongside Bar: 35 Degrees South Restaurant and Bar’s sister restaurant Alongside provide the perfect setting for a sunny lunch and drinks in their chic outdoor area.
5. Omata Estate: With rolling green grass and ocean views, enjoy wine and platters at the beautiful Omata Estate, located just out of the township Russel.